What is Rehabilitation ?
Rehabilitation refers to a process aimed at enabling persons with disabilities to reach and maintain their optimal physical, sensory, intellectual, psychological, social or economic functional levels, thus providing them with the tools to change their lives towards a higher level of independence.
The amount of rehabilitation required will depend upon the problems faced, its severity and complexity. The success of rehabilitation will depend on many factors such as:
- Age of the child
- Longer the disability, longer the time and grater will be the problem
- Facilities available to the child
- Various personal factors which motivate the person with disability
- Family support in overcoming the disability
Support Services for Rehabilitation
- Child Guidance/ Counselling Centres
- Life Care Centres/ Residential Homes
- Marriage Bureaus/ Websites /Marital Counselling
- Sheltered Workshops
- Special Shops / Library/ Book- Stores
- Vocational Guidance Centres